Welcome To Poltair
Welcome to the Poltair School website. I hope that it provides you with a comprehensive introduction to our values, expectations and ways of working.
Keen food technology students in year 8 recently enjoyed a visit to Frankie & Benny’s as part of their topic about Italian food. It was especially fun for Callan Phillips as the restaurant owners discovered it was his birthday so they dimmed the lights and everyone sang 'Happy Birthday'. Pupils were set a design challenge-they were given a large pizza base and a variety of toppings and had to assemble a pizza. It was then cooked for them and they ate it ( even though it was only 10.30 in the morning!) A big... Read More...
A Comment From The Headteacher
Just after the Christmas holidays the school's Leadership Team prepared and delivered a full and honest assembly to the pupils about the school's recent improvement journey. It highlighted the successes of our school and the areas that still needed improvement. Under the headline 'Getting Better all the Time', it was well received by the youngsters, drawing as it did from the views of themselves, their parents and staff, alongside the customary use of data and information.
It would be worth dwelling upon the impact of great leaders in driving forward school improvement; all of them! But in terms of tenure and longevity a special thought should be saved for both Mrs. Holmes and Mr. Richardson. With their individual service at Poltair School both stretching back in excess of twenty years, their impact on the lives of so many of the young people of St. Austell has been incredible. Moreover, they have played a huge part in getting the school to where it is. The sad and happy news (depending on how you look at it) is that both Mrs. Holmes and Mr. Richardson have announced that it is their intention to retire at the end of this school year. They will be much missed. However, they are not gone yet, so it is not time for goodbyes at the moment, not least because there is an awful lot of work to get done this year.
Of course, this change should also be seen as an exciting opportunity. In replacing and reshaping a little, the school placed an advert a few weeks back for two Deputy Headteachers to join the school next September. The school has been overwhelmed with very high quality applications of great leaders and practitioners wanting to come to work with and for our learning community. With the help of Governors, a shortlist has been made and next Tuesday seven candidates will begin a two day process to select the very best people for the job. A range of activities have been organised, including a rigorous panel interview to be conducted by the Student Council. This is a very important and exciting moment in the school's year and hopefully in next week's Spotlight I will be able to let you know the outcome.
Comment From The Headteacher Archive
- 08 Mar 2013 - Changing Times
- 28 Aug 2012 - GCSE Results 2012 - The Best Yet!
- 11 May 2012 - Positive Feedback From The Community
- 24 Feb 2012 - A Week No Less Ordinary Than Any Other
- 02 Dec 2011 - Year 7 STEM Day
- 28 Nov 2011 - Industrial Action - 30 November
- 18 Nov 2011 - Strike Action 30 November
- 14 Oct 2011 - Pearl of Africa At Poltair School
- 16 Sep 2011 - The Beginning Of A Busy New School Year At Poltair
- 01 Jul 2011 - House System
- 24 Jun 2011 - Football Success For Dan Marks
- 17 Jun 2011 - Timings Of The School Day
- 06 Jun 2011 - Pearl of Africa Children's Choir
- 27 May 2011 - School Uniform
- 20 May 2011 - Ten Tors Success
- 13 May 2011 - A Word Or Two On Detentions
- 01 Apr 2011 - Changes for Next Year
- 25 Mar 2011 - BBC News School Event
- 18 Mar 2011 - Discussion Regarding Uniform
- 11 Mar 2011 - Having A Choice And Getting It Right
- 04 Mar 2011 - Changes For Next Year
- 04 Feb 2011 - Open Mornings
- 17 Dec 2010 - Christmas Thoughts, Christmas Cheer, Christmas Best Wishes
- 10 Dec 2010 - Getting Better On The Buses
- 03 Dec 2010 - Sports College And Sport Partnerhip
- 12 Nov 2010 - Rejoice In Life
- 22 Oct 2010 - Student Council Election Day
- 15 Oct 2010 - Open Days
- 08 Oct 2010 - Setting Targets All Week
- 01 Oct 2010 - Immensely Positive Message
- 24 Sep 2010 - Important Week In The School Calendar
- 17 Sep 2010 - Examination Success At Poltair School